I had a client recently ask why hashtags weren’t working in the Community site. I poked around and sure enough, it wasn’t working. The hashtags were showing as plain text, and the managed metadata service wasn’t updating the Hashtags termset.
I checked permissions and they seemed fine (seemed is the operative word here) and I attempted and attempted to create hashtags as if something were going to change if I just try again.
I finally fixed it by going to the User Profile Service Application > Manage User Permissions.
I added the app pool account and gave it “Use Tags and Notes” permissions.
A few minutes after applying the permission change, the hashtags began to work.
A couple of things to note here:
- This is my dev environment so the app pool accounts used by mysites and my web app hosting the community site are the same account. I believe that you need to grant permissions to each app pool account for both sites if you are using different accounts.
- Hashtags created prior to the permission changes mentioned above will continue to appear as plain text. In other words, they will not be clickable hashtags.